Piston

A piston is a component of reciprocating engines, pumps and gas compressors. It is located in acylinder and is made gas-tight by piston rings. In an engine, its purpose is to transfer force from expanding gas in the cylinder to the crankshaft via a piston rod and/or connecting rod. In a pump, the function is reversed and force is transferred from the crankshaft to the piston for the purpose of compressing or ejecting the fluid in the cylinder. In some engines, the piston also acts as a valveby covering and uncovering ports in the cylinder wall.
March 18,2002---This all started when I planned to rebuild an '89 350 I pulled from my delapidated Suburban. The plan was to simply refresh the engine using aluminum heads, performance cam and new intake. I did not plan to touch the bottom end. Well when I figure the amount of HP/TQ this freshened 350 would produce and I started looking at other alternatives. I found one for sale in the Sunday newspaper. Everything seemed to fall into place with this engine. I was off the day I called, the engine wasn't far from where I lived, the guy wanted to get rid of it fast and he'd deliver the engine to my driveway. What more could I ask? Below is the donor 454 V8 I plan to rebuild with some serious Hi-po parts. It looks a little rusty because its been out in the elements for a few months. Most of the computer and pollution equipment is still attached to the engine. The owner had planned to sell it to someone who could merely transplant the engine into another vehicle and fire her up. I have a few other plans though. Much to my surprise the block turned out to have 4 bolt mains. The stock 454 put out about 230HP and 385 ftlb of torque. I know I can add a couple horses here and there.

File:Piston.gif

File:Arbeitsweise Zweitakt.gif